• Approximately 4,000 churches close their doors every year while only 1,000 new churches are opened!
16% of churches received no new members. 13% even reported having no children as members! HALF the churches in the US did not reach one person for Christ in the last year!
• From 1990-2000 the US population increased 11.4% (24,153,000) yet the combined membership of Protestant denominations decreased by 9.5% (4,498,242).
Every mainline Protestant Church in the US is in decline in the past 20 years:
- Presbyterian -24% (for example in 1995 alone they lost 100,000 members)
- Episcopal – 20%
- United Methodist – 16%
- Church of Christ -15%
- Even the Southern Baptists who had been growing until recently, as of 2013 have declined 5.5%.
- Except the Assemblies of God membership which grew by 1.4% in 2013
(Keep in mind that natural church attrition is -10%. People die, move and stop coming. For The Ridge – www.ridgefellowship.com to grow by 10% we have to really grow by 20% due to natural attrition.)
• Not a single county in America has a greater percentage of “churched persons” than 10 years ago!
• In 1900 – 27 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
• In 1950 – 17 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
• In 2000 – Less than 11 churches for every 10,000 Americans.
18.0% of Americans attended in church in 2002. Soon, we can catch up with Europe, which is currently “enjoying” two to four percent of its population in regular Church attendance.
The United States now ranks third (3rd) following China and India in the number of people who are not professing Christians; in other words, the U.S. is becoming an ever-increasing “un-reached people group.”
Isn’t it time to reverse these statistics? Will you join with me in prayer, fasting, and hard work to reach our country for Christ? Darrell
Hartford Institute for Religion Research. “Fast Facts about American Religion” 01 Jan. 2008
Home Missions Agency of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. “Church Growth Statistics” 01 Jan. 2008
Lindner, Eileen W. 2007 Yearbook of American & Canadian Churches. Abingdon Press. Nashville, TN. 2006
Marshall, Peter and David Manuel. The Light & the Glory. Fleming H. Revell Co. Old Tappan, NJ. 1977.
Phillips, Timothy R. and Dennis L. Okholm. A Family of Faith: An Introduction to Evangelical Christianity. Baker Academic. Grand Rapids, MI. 2001.
R. J. Krejcir Ph.D. Francis A. Schaeffer Institute of Church Leadership Development © 2007 (research from 1998 to 2006)
White, James Emery Rethinking the Church, 2003