Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. Ephesians 5:21-28
SEX IS VERTICAL BEFORE IT’S HORIZONAL
In so many ways, our culture tells us to look out for ourselves. And if we listen long enough to that message, we fall into the trap of thinking that marriage is supposed to be “all about me”. We will also fall into the trap that marriage is built on a conditional love. We’ll get into the mindset that, “If you do this for me, then I’ll do this for you.” But that is not the way that God intended marriage to be done.
In the Bible, God tells us to have an unconditional, initiative-taking love for our spouse. Jesus loves us unconditionally; so much so that he died for us. He took the initiative to sacrifice for us in order to secure a relationship with us. What an example of what we should do for our spouse.
This week, take the initiative with your spouse. You have made the commitment to grow closer to one another, not only through seven days of sex, but through dialogue, connection, and vulnerability. Don’t wait for your spouse to pursue you.
Take the initiative and plan a special time together during the night. Arrange for the babysitter. Show your spouse that you are committed to strengthening your relationship this week. And use the Sexperiment to love your spouse the way that Jesus loves us—unconditionally and intentionally.
DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING
- Ask your spouse, “How am I doing in making marriage about you?”
- Tell your spouse one way they can take the initiative this week to demonstrate their love for you.
- List out the ways of how love is best communicated to you and tell each other.
- Pray together and ask God to grant each of you an attitude that is more interested in giving and pleasing your spouse than in receiving.
- Read the section “Reverse the Curse” on pages 12-14 of the Sexperiment book.
- Read about additional action steps in this area of your marriage on pages 31-32 of Sexperiment.
To download the PDF click below.
For more about the “SEX” series or to sign up for a Sexperiment Growth Group go to www.RidgeFellowship.com